Evan Reiter

7 Years: 60 Hours of ATC

Cleared for the Cause, BVA’s 7th Birthday Event, will be held from November 1-3, 2013 in support of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. As with past Cleared for the Cause events, BVA’s 7th Birthday Event will feature 60 hours of non-stop ZBW! From 11am ET on Friday, November 1 until 11pm ET on Sunday, November 3, Boston Center (ZBW) will be staffed continuously, with controllers operating other positions and airports throughout the event.

In addition to the continuous ZBW coverage, we’ll be holding a Regional Circuit event on the Friday evening (featuring KBOS and KJFK) as well as a Cape Cod General Aviation Fly-In on Sunday afternoon.

In last year’s Cleared for the Cause event, 122 pilots flew 546 flight plans and flew for a combined 338 hours. United Regional flew 33 flights, controllers approved 33 ratings for Pilot Ratings Program pilots, and our top pilot, Chase (‘gochase85’), filed 33 flight plans! On average, we had 18.2 aircraft operations (takeoffs and landings) per hour over the course of the event. Most importantly, we generated $2,088, half of which was donated to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (the other half helped fund BVA’s server expenses).

Stay tuned for more information about the biggest event of the year as we approach the date of the event. But for now, clear your schedule and support Cleared for the Cause from 11am ET on Friday, November 1 to 11pm ET on Sunday, November 3.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Good Evening Folks! The BVA Military will be conducting a fly-by at the start of the GA Fly-In on Sunday at 1:45 at Nantucket. In the link below is a modified CFG file that will need to go in your /Microsoft Flight Simulator X/SimObjects/Airplanes/FA-18 folder, make a backup of the original, copy and paste this aircraft.cfg there overwriting the existing one. This will allow you to see us as the default hornet as we fly instead of Learjets (the normal substitution for some reason).

http://www.mediafire.com/view/q117p6j4ta1v3wz/aircraft.cfg

Devon Hathaway - BVATC Scenery Design  "Cross Devon at or above 4000, cleared for the ILS RWY 9R approach"

Guest Skylar Richardson

Fantastic Devon, can't wait to see this!

midpagebanner.png

Boston Virtual ATC’s 7th birthday celebration is less than two weeks away. Beginning at 11am ET on Friday, November 1, Boston Center will be staffed non-stop for 60 hours. Any time you want to fly—day or night—we’ll be there. But better yet, every single flight completed will generate money for our server and for charity!

Here’s why you should be blocking off the weekend of November 1-3:

There will actually be 61 hours of ATC!

Eastern Daylight Saving Time ends at 2:00am on Sunday, November 3 and we gain one hour at that time. As a result 11am on Friday to 11pm on Sunday actually works out to 61 hours.

Those 61 hours represent a great opportunity to start working on some of our Pilot Ratings Program flights, especially if you haven’t yet tried out the six new flights that were released for both the VFR and IFR aspects of the program. Over 1,000 PRP flights have been approved by controllers to date! Check out our Pilot Ratings Program website and start your studying now to maximize this great opportunity to fly PRP flights at any time of day.

You’ll be generating money for charity and helping to fund BVA.

This year, we’re excited to have a second anonymous donor helping us sponsor the event, meaning we have the potential to further increase the amount of money we can generate!

During the 61 hour period:

• $1 will be generated for every flight plan that’s filed during the 60 hour ZBW staffing period
  • Every handoff between controllers will earn a further $1

At the end of the event, we’ll add up the total and split that amount between the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and BVA’s server expenses.

A Regional Circuit and Cape Cod General Aviation Fly-In will take place during the celebration.

In addition to a guaranteed 61 hours of Boston Center, we’re hosting what we think will be the biggest Regional Circuit of the year. The 10 controllers staffing Boston and New York airports will be ready to kick off the birthday celebrations during our KBOS & KJFK Regional Circuit from 8-11pm ET on Friday, November 1.

On Sunday, November 3, we’ll feature a Cape Cod General Aviation Fly-In. We’ll kick off the event with a flyover demonstration from BVA's military beginning at 1:45pm ET, and then feature ATC at KACK, KEWB, KHYA, and KMVY from 2-5pm ET.

BVA is a great community that offers the best online flight simulation experience.

For 61 straight hours, you have the unique opportunity to fly online with the best controllers in one of the most interesting airspaces in North America. Wherever in the world you’re connecting from, you’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the world of aviation like never before.

Check out the video below to see exactly what we mean, and then block off the first weekend in November. It’s time for BVA to celebrate 7 Years!

[youtube:e81w7j6t]

[/youtube:e81w7j6t]

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Mike Pare

I would love to get in on this and get some controlling time. Not quite certified yet though. Is it considered a faux pas to slot in a time if we don't have an appointment with a mentor for that time slot? I'm a bit of a night owl on weekends, so this event could be right up my alley!

To clarify...I would not try to control without authorization or mentoring...I just wonder if it's ok to slot a time and put "need mentor" in the time timetable notes?

Mike

I would love to get in on this and get some controlling time. Not quite certified yet though. Is it considered a faux pas to slot in a time if we don't have an appointment with a mentor for that time slot? I'm a bit of a night owl on weekends, so this event could be right up my alley!

To clarify...I would not try to control without authorization or mentoring...I just wonder if it's ok to slot a time and put "need mentor" in the time timetable notes?

Mike

I have responded to Mike's question via private message.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Evan, can you put a link or some information about the download on the main event page as some members may not frequent the Event section of the forums?

Devon Hathaway - BVATC Scenery Design  "Cross Devon at or above 4000, cleared for the ILS RWY 9R approach"

Evan, can you put a link or some information about the download on the main event page as some members may not frequent the Event section of the forums?

Good idea! I'll add it to the reminder email about the event.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

As of 7:07am ET, 136 flight plans have been filed thus far, with 123 hours of controlled flight time. BVA member '135boomer' leads the flight plan count with 6, although there are several pilots nipping at his heels.

Keep up the good work!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

As of 24 hours into the event:

- 32 PRP Ratings Achieved

- 154 flight plans

- 81 participating pilots

As a reminder, only flight plans that become active (i.e., pilot is airborne and speaks to a controller) are counted towards the totals you see above. BVA member 'N764K' now leads the flight plan count with 7!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Another new leader: 'redbaron55' has 8 flight plans filed. 103 pilots have completed at least one flight, and our flight plan count stands at 254. We've got lots of time left to catch up to last year's total of 543.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

In our bonus hour (at what's now 1:29am EST):

- 338 flight plans

- 283 controlled flight hours

- 118 participating pilots

- 61 PRP flights passed by controllers during the event so far

'azreark1' has jumped out to the flight plan lead with 15 so far. There's still time!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

At the conclusion of the General Aviation Fly-In, we're at 478 flight plans (just 68 shy of the record from last year). 140 pilots have participated in the event so far, with 'azreark1' leading the flight plan count (21) and 'OE1HANS' having talked most to our controllers (47 controllers).

At the moment, we are on pace to exceed the $2,088 generated last year. But we haven't gotten there yet, and need a busy ZBW until 11pm EST to make it happen!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

We're still working on final numbers (in true BVA fashion, a few pilots (myself included) were flying past the 11pm deadline and it seems unfair not to count those flight plans since the pilots did depart prior to 11pm). However, as of the 'official' end of the event:

- 552 flight plans

- 147 participating pilots

- Over $4,000 raised (in total)

We'll provide the final count and the amount of money in this month's Logan Informer.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Joseph Marcoux

Big thanks to everyone who was able to help me get back in the saddle after 7 months. I appreciate the controller's that were on that helped me out and made sure I remembered how to do things the right way around here (sometimes after it was too late)