Guest Max Enis

A Different Type of Event

Guest Max Enis

Hi All,

I watched a documentary on 9/11 the other day and it gave me an idea. What if BVA did an event to model what happened on the day. Not the planes hitting the buildings or crashing, but how all the controllers did a great job to ground all of the aircraft currently flying in the U.S. We could have multiple Center Controllers online with a bunch of aircraft it could make for a real difficult experience for them and the pilots. If we could have alot of traffic depart an airport of their choice with a flight plan to another airport of their choice, but try and keep it in a general area (i.e. ZBW, ZNY,ZOB, or ZDC). Then we could say 'it happens' at a certain time and then from there on have all of the Controllers start to work to ground all aircraft and keep all air traffic on the ground that are looking to depart. The Center controllers could work to get planes to the closest possible airport were they can land safely. I know it would be hard to have all of airpots controlled that the planes would be diverting to, to help that we could have multiple Center Controllers in one airspace (i.e 2 ZBW Controllers,2 ZNY Controllers and so on). Each controller could control different sectors of the airspace to make it a little easier for each other. This whole situation could make for some interesting and intense pilot,controller interaction. But again just an idea.

Guest Anonymous

My opinion is that this 'idea' is not ever going to work. Firstly, I think it strikes a nerve for a lot that had to live through the event in the NY area(or the US). Also very few are going to want to fly and then just be grounded midway through the flight, many individuals internet connections do that well enough in the first place.

Hi All, I really think that we should let the victims rest in Peace. But I would not want moving emotions, again, or ever!

What we could do is add to ALL our Flight Plans... filing "an [alternate] airport" at the end of the filed route, inside FD.

For example : a KTUL > KOKC plan = TUL5 TUL GULLI1 [KOUN] .

Then, for some "good reason" Administration will make up an incident, and could schedule a surprise CLOSURE/INCIDENT for one of the airports already programmed amongst all the actual "game" flight plans ...

If it is my destination that is NOW closed... I simply have to go to my alternate, being vectored by ATC... and I must do a good job at it... because it sometimes happens in reality; and I should be prepared to fly to the alternate.

I would choose to leave this decision to the Center Controller... even as a surprise for his other ATC staff members... I know Dan would love that! ;)

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Guest Anonymous

Short and sweet, weather closes airports(occasionaly). If you want a airport to close wait for the weather.

I've closed airports in the Cape area before when weather went below minimums for the airports. Something is already done about random airport closures on my end, though some others would argue that because FSX does not accurately simulate the weather, we should not be closing airports because of that factor. I personally believe it adds a level of believable realism.

Dan P.

PPL ASEL - High Perf & Complex Endsr.

KHVN - Tweed-New Haven/KOXC - Waterbury-Oxford

Guest Max Enis
My opinion is that this 'idea' is not ever going to work. Firstly, I think it strikes a nerve for a lot that had to live through the event in the NY area(or the US)

That was never my intentions. I just can't think of any way to express this idea without using that as an example.

Guest Max Enis
I've closed airports in the Cape area before when weather went below minimums for the airports. Something is already done about random airport closures on my end, though some others would argue that because FSX does not accurately simulate the weather, we should not be closing airports because of that factor. I personally believe it adds a level of believable realism.

Do large Int'l Aiports close for weather? Besides for Natural Disasters and bad snow i have just heard of really bad delays.

Guest Lucas Kaelin

ICT Tower AND TRACON were evacuated tonight for a Tornado. I left before it reopened, but it does happen. If you need proof, look at what's left of STL, or JLN.

Traffic will be moved to an adjacent facility, sometimes Center, and sometimes a neighboring TRACON. Each TRACON has some ability to control its neighbors in the event of an emergency, this was built into the system. It all depends on the needs of the air traffic system at the time. They also have the option of simply closing the airspace, but we've all seen what happens when we do that.

Dan P.

PPL ASEL - High Perf & Complex Endsr.

KHVN - Tweed-New Haven/KOXC - Waterbury-Oxford