Andrew Cofone

NYC Hudson Corridor

Flying the hudson corridor is a lot of fun in real life. I think it would make a great sim session.

There are 3 levels to the corridor in which you can fly.

From the surface to 999ft you can change course and altitude whenever

But you have to call out your position on the ctaf at mandatory reporting points.

From 1000ft to 1299ft you have to start from either the alpine tower or the verazano

bridge and have to stay at altitude and on course for the entire route and make call outs

on ctaf at same mandatory points.

From 1300ft to 2000ft you are flying the skyline route in which you are in constant communication

With atc. North of gwb and in the east river is laguardia and south of gwb is newark.

there is a speed restriction of 140kias and all lights must be on.

With a bunch of ga aircraft and helicopters it would be a great sim session. I will also post the cheat sheet for flying in the corridor that I use.

Andrew Cofone N421NJ

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770k, Nvidia GTX 680, Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz RAM, Corsair H-90 liquid cooler

REX 4 + Soft Clouds, Acive Sky Next, UTX USA,  GTX USA, FsFX Precipitfx, FlyTampa St. Maarten, Aerosoft Manhatten  X

Andrew Cofone N421NJ

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770k, Nvidia GTX 680, Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz RAM, Corsair H-90 liquid cooler

REX 4 + Soft Clouds, Acive Sky Next, UTX USA,  GTX USA, FsFX Precipitfx, FlyTampa St. Maarten, Aerosoft Manhatten  X

Guest Brandon Carter

Cool stuff -- thanks for the documents too!

I haven't yet ventured into the NY Class B in the real world, but that sounds pretty cool. I've certainly heard some of those transmissions before, but I mostly stick in the training areas over the southern seashore or up north by the stacks when I have the chance to fly.

as long as you go during the week and not on the weekends its probably the best flying on the east coast. Controllers are very laid back as compared to typical ny approach controllers. When I go, I always talk to ATC and since im coming from KCDW i start at the alpine tower at 1500 and fly south, usually at the GWB i get bumped up to 2000, then back down to 1500 to circle the statue of liberty a few times then north up the east river and over central park then maybe a circle or two over yankee stadium and then back up to alpine tower and straight back to KCDW.

Andrew Cofone N421NJ

Guest Yun Chase
When I go, I always talk to ATC and since im coming from KCDW i start at the alpine tower at 1500 and fly south, usually at the GWB i get bumped up to 2000, then back down to 1500 to circle the statue of liberty a few times then north up the east river and over central park then maybe a circle or two over yankee stadium and then back up to alpine tower and straight back to KCDW.

That was pretty close to my route (my JUL2007 video below) except I flew in from KSYR and landed at KHPN after the corridor. Maintained 1500' for the most part...

I'll never forget this flight... :)

[youtube:1pxd52gw]

[/youtube:1pxd52gw]
Guest donovan48

Speaking of which, do we have the possibility of the city route in boston?

Guest Yun Chase
Speaking of which, do we have the possibility of the city route in boston?

Done that too! :D

Contact Boston Skyways just outside Class Bravo and ask.. look at the Heli chart and pick a Route... in/out on FENWA worked pretty good for me...

Here is a picture that I took showing the Fenway Park - Back Bay - Downtown BOS and the Harbor over yonder :D

24e72vb.jpg

Awsome pics. Is there a specific route over boston or do you just tell atc where you wana go and they clear you? Anywhere you can't go over the city? That would be fun to do in a session. I love flying the helicopters and landing at the hospital helipads addon for flight sim.

Andrew Cofone N421NJ

Guest Yun Chase
Is there a specific route over boston or do you just tell atc where you wana go and they clear you? Anywhere you can't go over the city?

Look at the Helicopter Route Chart for Boston. It shows you established VFR routes. FENWA is one of them, inbound from the South side. I fly out of Mansfield so it was the best.

Their approval will mainly depend on the Runway configuration at that particular time. On that particular day, they were launching from both 27 and 33L. Those departure corridors sort of define a Triangular airspace over Boston. Skyways limited me to be inside of the triangle at all times... prohibiting me to cross the departure corridors during the city tour. Of course, you must remain west of Logan at all times.

It was an awesome flight! I'm looking to do another one in a month or two, before it gets toooooo cold... :D

That is awesome. What altitude you usually fly at?

Andrew Cofone N421NJ

Guest Yun Chase
That is awesome. What altitude you usually fly at?

They'll assign the altitude.... When I flew, they assigned 1500.