Guest Anonymous

Small suggestion

Guest Anonymous

I thought of a good series of events, that should prove to get more pilot turnout from particular groups. What if we did an airline specific hub control between the two most major hubs, for various virtual airlines that fly on BVA? For example, Delta=ATL/DTW, UA/UALR=ORD/IAD, JBU=JFK/BOS, etc... It would be great to have a good airline specific turnout every once in awhile. All positions staffed INCLUDING the airline's ramp tower! I'm not sure if this has been suggested before. But, I am sure that some VA's do not have open routing, and only use real-world routes, so if we opened some hubs, we could get more VA ACARS/VAFS flights going, which would ultimately benefit both the pilots and the controllers.

Thank you

Are you suggesting that we have R, Cl, G, T, D, A, and C for 6 major airports? That's going to (with the adjoining centers) work out to 20-30 controllers online. I don't think we have the pilot or technological base to support that type of ATC.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Anonymous

Yes, to all of the positions; but I only anticipated using 2 hub airports. It would work out logistically for a lot of airlines I can think of, seeing as how the two major hubs for them are within 2 hour flights. For example, Delta - ATL/DTW, jetBlue - JFK/BOS, United - ORD/IAD, Continental - EWR/CLE, American - DFW/MIA... to name a few. Now, I understand the examples may not be the first and second major hubs, but we could use the second and third like Continental - EWR/CLE; whatever may be necessary for a 3 hour event. This could take some thought, but I'd be willing to draft an event itinerary, if this could seriously be considered.

Guest chuck

There has been some similar discussion at operations for United Regional and Execjet that for the busy Thursday night dual airline event that on a rotating basis each airline would give up one pilot to serve as ramp controller at the arrival airport. So far the idea has been stuck in the idea phase, but perhaps there is room to implement something of the sort on a "when possible" basis. While this wouldn't be the 30 or so controllers that the gentlemen mentioned, it may be something that could cover part of the role the gentlemen suggested and convey the spirit of the position.

So far on our end however, while everyone agrees it is a cool idea, no one is willing to give up their pilot's seat during the event in favor of sitting on the ground. Perhaps however the controller's cadre might want to use this as an entry level position for new controllers? I don't know exactly how it would all work, but yes it remains in the "good idea" column at UALR.

Guest Max Enis
Yes, to all of the positions; but I only anticipated using 2 hub airports. It would work out logistically for a lot of airlines I can think of, seeing as how the two major hubs for them are within 2 hour flights. For example, Delta - ATL/DTW, jetBlue - JFK/BOS, United - ORD/IAD, Continental - EWR/CLE, American - DFW/MIA... to name a few. Now, I understand the examples may not be the first and second major hubs, but we could use the second and third like Continental - EWR/CLE; whatever may be necessary for a 3 hour event. This could take some thought, but I'd be willing to draft an event itinerary, if this could seriously be considered.

I completely agree, this would be an awsome event. We could also do airline specific nights like an AAL night.

KMIA-DFW or KDFW-KLAX.

For KLAX-KDFW have:

LAX_CL

LAX_G

LAX_T (2 if necessary)

LAX_A

ZLA_C

ZAB_C

ZFW_C

DFW_A

DFW_T

DFW_G

DFW_CL

Pilots Could Fly the route either way they want. Yes it would take 11 or 12 Controllers including 3 Center Certified Controllers but it would make for a great experience to make a medium haul flight seem like every part of the flight is controlled.

Guest Max Enis

I wasn't able to make it to office hours...what was the final say?

Nobody has attended Office Hours for the past several weeks. While that's fine and expected (gives me an opportunity to get some work done which I genuinely appreciate), that also means no action will take place on items like this.

The next session is on Sunday.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team