Evan Reiter

FSX Server Outage - August 15, 2013 [RESOLVED]

Our FSX server, which includes Live ATIS and FlightDesk, is offline. We are engaging our ISP to determine the extent of the issue and will post additional information as it becomes available.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Due to the interaction between our website and FSX server, the website will be loading more slowly than usual until the FSX server is back online.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Early information, subject to additional investigation, indicates that the server may be offline for several hours, potentially into tomorrow. There are no indications this was anything other than a technical malfunction.

As soon as we have an expected resolution time, we will post an update.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Are the Teamspeak server's related to this issue as well?

BVA's TeamSpeak servers are hosted on the FSX server location and therefore are offline as well.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

As of around noon ET today, we don't have much more information to share. There are a lot of unknowns at this point. That being said, we'd like to provide what information we have in the interest of transparency.

Our ISP has been very helpful and responsive in working the issue and are attempting a fix now that we hope will bring the server back online. There is no timing estimate available; it's detailed work that could be finished in a few minutes, or several hours. We also aren't sure about the outcome: what the ISP is doing could completely restore our server, or it could mean we have to start from a new operating system and re-install FSX. The good news is that we stand to lose very little in either case. The only real impact we've identified so far is the amount of time it will take to get things back up and running.

We understand that this is very frustrating and we're working extremely hard to get back up and running as quickly as possible. Depending on the outcome of the ISP's work, "as soon as possible" could be tonight, and it could be at some point this weekend. I'll continue to post status updates here as they become available. I'm truly sorry for this disruption and hope we can get it resolved as soon as possible.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Guest Bill Serra

Gentlemen, we have bad news. We have lost the hard drive.

We are uploading files as we speak, as fast as we can, but it may take a day or two to restore full service.

We're starting from a clean system meaning that we're going to lose a lot of information. TS will be up soon but FSX will take a while longer.

Stay tuned for more updates but realistically do not expect FSX service till tomorrow or Saturday.

Bill

Guest Nathan McGuire

im taking this time to learn how to fly the default helicopter on free flight..... don't laugh :D

Air Traffic Controllers; Once Teamspeak has been returned, controllers may join in an Apocalyptic Special Edition of ATC Music Jeopardy.

Woohoo!

Guest Nathan McGuire

now that's something im in for!

Guest Max Enis

Am I the only one finding it impossible to find temporary friends and a life for this outage period?

Anyway Jeremy (jrvalent) and I have come with the perfect solution to use you free time productively!

INTRODUCING : RAILWORKS 2013!!!

Feel the power as you drive some of the world’s mightiest machines on railways (or railroads) across the globe. Master these heavy duty trains as you complete missions and face fearsome challenges, build your career or simply drive for pleasure. Add to your collection with new locomotives and routes. With accurate controls and physics, Train Simulator 2013 takes you from novice to pro. All aboard, let’s go!

c23063f8510b20fc19c01bb291c25470_train-simulator-2013_zpsb3f100b3.jpg

Guest joshhal

thank god . i thought i was the only one, at first i thought it was my computer but not.

We need to find an online version of "Cards against humanity"! That ought to hold us over for a while. A few of you will actually know what I'm talking about. ;)

Alex Petrikas (PS)

Guest Max Enis
We need to find an online version of "Cards against humanity"! That ought to hold us over for a while. A few of you will actually know what I'm talking about. ;)

SimCon 2013. Nuff said. :lol:

The results at the end of Round 1 of Music Jeopardy:

NUQgTzo.png

TheNavyReapers looked destined to win, being ahead at the end of the main round. However, trying to play it safe by not betting did not work for the Reapers: Nate, Cody and Josh Jnr. all bet high and it paid off when they overtook TheNavyReapers, resulting in Cessna_172_KBOI taking the win at the last moment in Music Jeopardy - a substantial win given that Nate had only joined halfway through the session, and was 350 points off the lead at the end of the main round.

Also worth noting was Bluewarrior4185, who took the lead for the majority of the main round, and finished a respectable 2nd. jc080398's bet didn't pay off when he decided to risk it all, and failed on the Final Jeopardy question; he ended up with no points, tied with N555UF, who had been idle the entire game.

Round 2 of Music Jeopardy coming soon!

Shout to 55F, killing it.

Guest Bill Serra

Windows updates and drivers complete.

Uploading FSX now. It will take anywhere between 6 to 12 hours.

b.

The server is online and stable. Installation of server files for FSX and FlightDesk is the next step. We expect it to take another 24-48 hours. We will post an update to that timeline when we are more certain of it.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

We continue to make progress. FSX installation is underway, with FlightDesk to happen later today. Lots of configuration work to go. Stay tuned.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Today has been a good day so far. FSX is installed and running in "test" mode. Work continues on configuring FlightDesk's server.

We will post another update with an expected service restoration time in about an hour.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

We're cleared for takeoff: the server (FSX, FlightDesk, and Live ATIS) is now online!

We were able to get things completed much more quickly than we had anticipated. As a result, less than 48 hours after the issue, we've completely re-installed the operating system and our various servers. You should be able to access FSX and FlightDesk normally.

There are a large number of settings for us to configure so there's a good chance we've missed something. There may also be some residual effects from the total re-install that will work themselves out. Please let us know if something isn't working the way you expect it to.

More to come...

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Community Director
Administration Team

Possibly off-topic, but I have a wonderful utility called "Leroy" by Daniel A. Hawton - I think the website is AirCharts.org. This is a great little ap that makes getting FLIPs SO easy - I thought I probably found it here or through another BVA member.

Well, I noticed it was gone during the outage. Is AirCharts.org a BVA site or is there some connection?

Just curious...

----M B Ingersoll

----FAA Retired

----ZFW 1984-2008

----USAF 1973-1983