Guest Saurabh Raje

Adapting to all time zones

Guest Saurabh Raje

HI everyone

I know my proposal is quite awkward...but, I guess it is quite important for my activity on BVATC. I live in the UTC+5.30 time zone, so all the greatest BVA events are past midnight for me. I also had to give up the recent Washington SFRA event due to the same. Some of my friends in the GMT+2 time zone are also thinking of quitting BVA for the same, but I just love these events. Pls try to accommodate different time zones by starting ur events at approx 12 noon ET or so.

This would be very encouraging for many simmers like me

Regards

Saurabh

Guest Lucas Kaelin

There are many posts requesting as such, but with the server in the US this can be very difficult. There's typically a Euro version of the weekly RC started sometime around noon to 1p EDT. Often there are less controllers, but there's usually quite a few pilots around flying the route.

Hi,

As shyflyguy suggested for your participation, I have a group of Europeans flying on Tuesday's afternoon at 13:00 ET, departing from the first airport listed alphabetically in the Events' Details Page, and we do get some controllers. This is your evening time!

You could also use our Pilot Timetable to attract pilots to fly nearby, or to use your posted route.

I suggest that you persist with flying, any evening, at your convenience and surely a number of controllers will be attracted. In the end we will also train european born controllers, or others that find those times fitting their schedule.

If no controllers are around, you will still have traffic. Hopefully you will also get a chance to perfect your UNICOM, or common traffic communications, on 122.95 Mhz.

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Maybe we could start charging user fees. 5 cents per flight go to BVA, and 5 cents to each controller that handles your flight. An incentive to be online during off peak hours. Think about that people, during our events, you stand to make $2 in one night just talking to people. Sure our member count would drop to nothing in no time flat, but controllers would be online and ready to handle your moneyimean flight. :mrgreen:

Erik VanderWerf

Occasional Flyer

Programmer

Guest Saurabh Raje

So are these European RCs are shown in the events page? 'cause whatever events are there, they usually commence at 8.....so what should I be watching out for?

Guest Lucas Kaelin

The Euro RC isn't on the event pages, they have just become a tradition. Be in the server ready to fly at 1p EDT and you'll typically find TheNavyReapers and many of the rest of his British friends, along with other members across the pond (and some of us US people who work nights) flying the same RC as those who can make the event will in the evening.

Guest Joseph Marcoux

Typically I'm on around 11pm-0400am Berlin time and I typically see quite a few pilots flying around typically around KBOS. You're more than welcome to join in whenever it's convenient for you as the events obviously aren't mandatory. I rarely am able to make 1-2 a month and it's a pleasure to still fly on a server dedicated to professionalism. Quitting BVA only means you're just going to frequent the gamespy servers more which you could do regardless if it's convenient to you and when you are able to catch those late, late night events, you won't be able to if you're not a part of BVA anymore. I rarely fly on gamespy servers (mostly for the racing events only) but, I wouldn't give up BVA even if I never flew on the server but once a month when I could catch the events. Hell, we've got over 725+ members, and I only ever see the same 30 or 40. But occasionally on the RC or PTP nights, I see quite a few new names online that fly only when they're able to for those events to break the monotany of the BS you find on the regular servers.

Just my $.02

Guest Saurabh Raje

Ok, thanks guys for ur suggestions...was good to know that I'm not the only guy with this problem, and I will try out ur solutions, hope they work...

Guest James Strauss

Just to help clear up the normal timing (Air Tango Five, please correct me if I'm mistaken) this coming Tuesday is our KLAS - KSAN RC scheduled 8 to 11pm Eastern time. Earlier that same afternoon at approx. 1pm Eastern (1800Z, I think) Air Tango Five and his European counterparts will gather at LAS (because once the ICAO designator, K, is dropped LAS comes first alphabetically) and fly the LAS to SAN leg. Those that have time will make the return flight.

I have been trying my best to provide ATC service during these "mini - RC's" and will sometimes provide service at both airports. Other controllers would like to help but have other commitments to honor in our U.S. timezones. These mini-RC's are gaining popularity and with increased participation will command more attention from BVA leadership, as well as attract more interest from U.S. controllers that have the luxury of participating in busier events at that time of day.

I know we all wish we had easier solutions for the time difference, but as the mini-RC gains popularity more North American pilots will participate as well. Many already fly the RC preferred routes on their own earlier in the day to get a feel for upcoming Regional Circuit airspace. Most of them would rather fly with our European contingent in the mini-RC, but just are not aware of how it is planned and executed. I've been quite surprised to learn how many of our members pay little attention to the forums.

'AirTangoFive' spearheads the mini-RC so if you had any special considerations you wanted cleared up you might drop him an email. I know he's quite busy because of his active leadership role in BVA, and his other commitments, so if he can't get back to you right away take that into account.

There's a lot of us who want to make BVA a better timed experience for our European members, at the moment, its a bit of a 'tough nut to crack.' But if we keep trying...

Thanks "skybum" for your very clear and kind explanation, and your will to join our group.

NOTAM to all pilots and controllers...

How would you feel if you saw an Event announced on the website and flew it, or controlled in it at any time during that calendar date, 24 hour period, as described by the info shown in the Event's Details Page?

Would you participate because, then, you can adapt your flying/controlling presence to your own time zone, and real life schedule?

The simple way is to pre-register inside the Pilot Timetable to show that you will fly, or use the ATC Timetable to show that you will control. Others will see it and gather the flock of happy birds around you, and the Tower guys!

That is what I do with my group of friends every Tuesday afternoon at 13:00 ET. Often, I also can fly in the official peak hours announced. But, again, our server is open 24 hours every day... please take advantage of this fact.

Why would you not fly the same announced area, and routes, as the Event's Details Page suggests...? You would surely be heading to fly with "traffic", if that is what you want. ;)

Gilles | CYUL | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

Guest Saurabh Raje

Yes, in fact when this though question of where to fly comes to my mind, I first check out the BVA site for the ptp, or rc....now I'll start using the pilot timetable also. But as u guys said, flying at or starting to fly at 1 pm EDT is a bit too late, cause when u add 9.30 to it, you get 10.30(that's gmt+5.30), which is quite past my bedtime considering that I've to get up at 6.30 am gmt+5.30 for school. I guess it all boils down to, " u can't have the cake and eat it too..." LOL

Guest Lucas Kaelin

Keep an eye out for out overnight center events. It seems like there's one every year where we try to do 2+ full days with Boston Center online, along with any other controllers who wish to join in. When they say 2+ full days they mean it, I've been on and flying at 6am Eastern before and was talking with a controller. Maybe we should look into trying to do that event every other month or something as our membership seems to grow across the pond?