Guest Levi Wilson

Another Southeast Getaway and International Events?

Guest Levi Wilson

Hello, fellow pilots.

I was slightly disappointed to see that Nashville International Airport(KBNA) was not a part of the Southeast getaway earlier this month, the reason being that I live close to Nashville. I was wondering if we could have another Southeast getaway, but both Memphis ARTCC and Atlanta ARTCC would be included in this event. I would suggest the focus airports being KBHM, KATL, KCLT, KBNA, and KMEM. This would allow a broader area of the Southeast being covered, and it would represent some of the busiest airports in the Southeast, except for those in Florida.

Another thing I wanted to talk about is the European Tour event. I have not been around BVA long enough to know how that event worked out, but by what I have read in the forums, it didn't turn out too well. However, I noticed several pilots saying that they would be interested in a Ptp or Dj style European event. I was intrigued by these ideas, and I believe that we should expand our events to accomodate airports in locations other than just the United States. Maybe have one of these events in an airspace outside of the US for once a month. I think a Canadian Getaway would be a good start for incorporating more airports than just those starting with a P or a K.

Making some of these events on Saturdays and Sundays at 1-4 PM EST and some on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8-11 PM EST would accomadate almost all of the pilots. Just revisiting some ideas that have already been put out there.

Best wishes to all and thank you for your time,

Levi

Guest Lucas Kaelin

Welcome to BVA. I'm glad you got to enjoy the SE Getaway. While BNA wasn't included, it is on the DJ agenda and does come up in the RC on occasion.

Please keep in mind that an event as you describe (ATL, MEM, CLT, BNA) covers a VERY large area. Even staffing ZTL and ZME would be required at all times. Our ATC numbers are growing, but center and class B approach controllers are hard to come by. Additionally with event airports so far apart the general aviation part of our community would take forever to complete even one leg, let alone a full RC. Most of our group are airliner pilots, but remember even Cape Air are general aviation type aircraft.

The ballpark for an RC is about 200nm, and even for a getaway we try not to go much further than that. The idea with a GA is to have a single large airport and several interesting smaller ones in the area. While you will see lots of BOS/NYC pairings while we're up in the northeast, it's because ATC actually has a set of "rulebooks" (or Standard Operating Procedures, SOP's) how to operate in both places along with most of the maps, and charts too. When we go to an airport that is not BOS or NYC controllers revert to a generalized SOP which is not as detailed or efficient. The Denver/Aspen is an annual event so we have that SOP as well.

As for the international and European events, the biggest obstacle are charts. Without the right charts pilots have no procedures, airways, or altitudes to plan. It is also difficult for controllers without those very important references.

While not a complete explanation for you, I hope it sheds some light onto the massive difficulty of your request.

Guest Levi Wilson

shyflyguy,

I do understand what you are getting at about the airspace being quite large. I did not think about that before. Maybe we could have a Memphis getaway sometime. As for the European charts, it would be beneficial if we could get a link or somebody to help out by posting a thread on how to read European charts. I will be trying to find a link on the matter, but I do understand the situation there, too. Hopefully, we could make the European Tour work out once again.

Thank you for your time,

Levi

Guest Lucas Kaelin

There are actually some BVA pilots that frequently fly with FDX callsigns, I'm sure they would love a chance to have a "Sort" style event. Everyone plan to arrive MEM prior (server rest) 1am local, and then depart before 5am to out stations. It's actually an impressive operation as I've had the ability to view it from one of my jumpseat trips!

As for the European charts, it would be beneficial if we could get a link or somebody to help out by posting a thread on how to read European charts.

The EuroControl site is a good place to start: http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/ais-online

Many countries offer their aerodrome charts free to download. Each country's site is different, but it's fairly easy to find your way to what you're looking for. Also, European charts aren't that much different than U.S. charts. In fact I can't actually think of anything in European charts that I didn't understand right away or couldn't figure out pretty quickly (Google es tu amigo!). :D

"Walk a mile in the other guy\'s shoes before you seek to enlighten him." - Jev

i7-2600k @4.7GHz / Asus P8P67 Pro rev 3.1 / eVGA GTX580 1.5G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance

Crucial M4 256G/512G / Antec Kuhler 920 / WIN7-64 / FSX Acceleration / Saitek