Looking for something to do? Fly I-90!
« on: August 27, 2018, 02:22:45 pm »
Hey guys!

I was a bit bored and thought it would be a cool idea to try and put together a "tour" of sorts that takes you along Interstate 90 from Boston to Seattle (and back!). Each leg is around 50-150nm, and it's designed to be flown VFR with GA aircraft. There's a mix of B, C, D, and E airports (a lot of D and E, especially out west). Not meant to be anything formal, I just thought I'd put it out there if anybody's looking for something to do. I have a rough list of airports (as well as a few points of interest). Feel free to deviate from the list or take some detours, it's just a guideline more than anything! Have fun!

KBOS-KALB
KALB-KSYR
KSYR-KBUF
KBUF-KERI (Erie, PA)
KERI-KLPR (Lorain, OH)
KLPR-KTDZ (Toledo, OH)
KTDZ-KSBN/KEKM (South Bend/Elkhart, IN)
KSBN/KEKM-KGYY (Gary, IN)
KGYY-KORD
KORD-KMSN (Madison, WI)
KMSN-KRST (Rochester, MN)
KRST-KMJQ (Jackson, MN)
KMJQ-KFSD (Sioux Falls, SD)
KFSD-9V9 (Chamberlain, SD)
9V9-6V4/KPHP (Wall/Philip, SD)
6V4/KPHP-49B/KRCA/KRAP (Sturgis/Ellsworth AFB/Rapid City, SD)
49B/KRCA/KRAP-KGCC (Gillette, WY)
KGCC-KSHR (Sheridan, WY)
KSHR-KBIL (Billings, MT)
KBIL-KBZN (Bozeman, MT)
KBZN-KBTM (Butte, MT)
KBTM-KMSO (Missoula, MT)
KMSO-S83 (Shoshone Co., ID)
S83-KGEG (Spokane, WA)
KGEG-KMWH (Grant Co., WA)
KMWH-KSEA

Points of Interest:
Mt. Rushmore: ~15nm SW of KRAP
Jackson Hole, WY (KJAC): ~130nm S of KBZN (Great views of the Teton range. Fun Fact: KJAC is the only commercial airport in the US located within a National Park)

Re: Looking for something to do? Fly I-90!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:34:42 pm »
Did someone say I-90?

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 08:18:13 pm »
Your plan seems to be an interesting journey ... around 25+ airports to visit ... How do you plan to have pilots join the adventure & (Schedule : daily, weekly, monthly ... ) :)
Gilles | CYUL | PRP Coach | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 12:29:03 pm »
Gilles -

I wasn't really planning on having a "schedule" of sorts. I just thought I'd throw something informal out there if people are looking for something to do or are looking for some ideas for impromptu group flights. Just for fun!  :)

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 04:09:59 pm »
Eli,

Well, I will take those ideas for flights and bring them to my group, called "The TANGO SQUADRON".

We usually fly weekly, on Tuesday afternoons - from 12:30 to 15:00, Eastern Time, and we welcome everyone. Our flight plans are viewable inside the "Pilot Timetable". We meet in the BVARTCC Teamspeak.

Cheers and thanks!

Gilles -

I wasn't really planning on having a "schedule" of sorts. I just thought I'd throw something informal out there if people are looking for something to do or are looking for some ideas for impromptu group flights. Just for fun!  :)
Gilles | CYUL | PRP Coach | Founder of the "TANGO SQUADRON" - BVA member since July 31st 2008

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 06:43:12 pm »
GREETINGS:

I would love to fly some/all of those legs VFR... catching the scenery etc.

If you do decide to setup that X-Country Journey, perhaps you can post an ETD of the planned legs of that trip as you schedule them. In that scenario, I and others could work some/all of those legs into our schedule and join you!

Sounds very colorful....

Mark Mayo
N49