Erik Peterson

FLAI - missing Boeing 76F?
« on: December 27, 2018, 02:41:45 pm »
First off, what an amazing addition to our hobby.  One of my MUST HAVE installations!  Congratulations to all, for an amazing piece of software!

I was flying out of ATL and had a UPS B76F taxi past me, and realized he was in all white.  After poking around, it appears there is not a 76F model, which I thought odd. 

I would assume this is not an oversight, but a problem with copyright problem with someones model.  But in case it wasn't, I wanted to drop a line and advise that the model was not present.  Either way, would love to hear the story behind it!

Thank you again all!

-erik

Re: FLAI - missing Boeing 76F?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 03:35:04 pm »
The short answer is that B76F is an invalid type code. Invalid code -> no  model.

It should most likely be B763 in this case but could potentially also be B762 or B764. From a flight planning/ATC standpoint, it doesn’t matter whether you’re hauling passengers or iPhones and there’s thus just one type code per plane (B77F is another common one that VATSIM pilots seem to have invented).

I’ll let one of the FLAI guys comment on whether there’s any logic in the FLAI model matching rules that can bypass these VATSIMisms though.
Arvid Hansson | 1162891 | C3 | P5
VATSIM Network Supervisor

Evan Reiter

• Community Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 04:45:09 pm »
Arvid's answer above is correct. The model matching is only as good as the user's entry. When users enter incorrect aircraft types (like "Boeing 747-400 with a GPS", and no, I'm not kidding...), the models won't match properly. We do have several rules in place for incorrect entries, but obviously don't have this one.

I will pass the feedback along to the team and see whether they would like to add "B76F" to the ruleset. Until then, you can always (very politely) suggest to the other pilot that they connect using an appropriate aircraft type :)

Evan Reiter
Community Manager

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:18:44 pm »
I'll add B76F as a type code alias in the next vPilot update. If anyone connects using B76F as their code, it will change it to B762 (or whatever UPS uses) for the purpose of model matching.