Recreating "The Hump"
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:38:47 pm »
Hello fellow pilots!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in recreating "The Hump" with me? An airlift in a DC3 or C47 (there is a very nice freeware version out there on Flightsim) through Asia that took place in WWII.

It will be long, but I only want to undertake this if someone else is with me. I'm thinking of doing a group airlift, and imaging a lot of DC3s/C47s flying in formation over the Himalayas! A nice way to remember the golden era of aviation (with a little modern technology added of course).

Any takers?

"For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards. For there you have been, and there you will always long to ret

Re: Recreating "The Hump"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:46:14 pm »
I'm up for it! Just tell me what I have to do

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever wal

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:52:18 pm »
Well thats just it. I need to get anyone who wants to do it together so we can plan out the flight. Because I've done some research and the city that the flights originally departed from... isn't in FSX.  :?:  :?:  :?:

So.. I'm going to do some more research. Pull up some maps and see what kind of flight plan I can put together. Is there a teamspeak we could hop in and discuss, and even use for communication during the flight?

"For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards. For there you have been, and there you will always long to ret

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:59:51 pm »
I did manage to find this map. Having a hard time figuring out what cities played a vital role though.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 03:12:56 pm »
Guys, this great!  My dad was a C-46 pilot flying the Hump in 1944 (He is alive and well at age 93 in Tx).  I've flown the Hump in a C-46 that is available on the net - no longer have it but will look it up.  Dad flew out of Sookerating usually where he was based.  I'm fascinated by this theater of the "Big One".  He arrived on station joining a new squadron of C-46s and was appointed as Training Pilot because he had most multi-engine time as a 23-yr old 1stLt!  1 1/2 yr later he was a Maj and squadron CO.  Anyway, let me know whatever I can do - I'm in if you will have me.
Semper Fi,
John

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 03:43:14 pm »
Well just let me know the aircraft I need to learn in order to start the testing and practice.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever wal

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 04:59:21 pm »
The c-46 will do.  FSX default will work.
Semper Fi,
John

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 05:00:16 pm »
I meant C-47, sorry, fat fingers.
Semper Fi,
John

Re: Recreating
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 05:29:59 pm »
Quote from: "JohnJMG"
Guys, this great!  My dad was a C-46 pilot flying the Hump in 1944 (He is alive and well at age 93 in Tx).  I've flown the Hump in a C-46 that is available on the net - no longer have it but will look it up.  Dad flew out of Sookerating usually where he was based.  I'm fascinated by this theater of the "Big One".  He arrived on station joining a new squadron of C-46s and was appointed as Training Pilot because he had most multi-engine time as a 23-yr old 1stLt!  1 1/2 yr later he was a Maj and squadron CO.  Anyway, let me know whatever I can do - I'm in if you will have me.

I think you are going to be the best source for the route map. I am envisioning a map we could create that could be used as a reference for the pilots so they know where to fly and each stop along the way. Ultimately, I'd like to do this whole thing in a formation fashion, with a lot of C-47s and DC-3s flying high and together!

I have a great freeware C-47 I found on Flightsim dot come that I was thinking we could all use. Its a pretty realistic and somewhat modernized because it has a nice GPS on the panel.

Here is the link:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php ... d=19838165

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 11:44:54 pm »
Information on The Hump is incredibly hard to come by. I can't find hardly any resources on how to plan a route. One map I found had the route from Calcutta to Kunming, however, Calcutta isn't in FSX (lovely). So I've planned out a route on the southern side of "The Hump" (I have always hated FSX internal flight planning tools and its limitations).

The route goes something like this, and is about 4-5 hours flight time. It would make for an interesting evening for whoever participated!

VGEG - Chittagong (Near Calcutta)
VYCZ - Mandalay
VYLS - Lashio
ZPPP - Kunming

Each stopover would be for fuel, assuming we needed it. I am open to anyone who would like to change the flight plan or offer up a better or more accurate route!

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 01:10:15 am »
Hump routes originated at primarily two airbases in Assam: Chabua, where headquarters was, and Sookerating.  Both exist in FSX.  There were also bases at Mohanbari and Dinjan.  Haven't checked for those. Give me a few days and I'll figure out a way to scan and send some better maps and also actual, at that time, classified approach plates.  Kunming was the Eastern terminus and it is also in FSX. There were several routes that were used depending on time of war and a/c type flown:
1. Sookerating - Ft Hertz - Kunming (487 statute miles)
2. Chabua - Ledo - Yunanyi - Kunming (507 mi)
These were primary routes.
Semper Fi,
John

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 02:41:39 am »
Okay. Sookerating I did see while fishing around on the map. However, I never did find Ledo.. which I've seen on a few maps so far, so it must be an important area.

Chris Raabe

• ATC Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 04:07:20 am »
Don't do this without me! My PC is on the fritz and I'm trying to resurrect it. What time frame are yall looking at to do this?
Chris Raabe (RB)
BVARTCC Military Commander
ZBW C1

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 08:55:39 am »
the Wikipedia article on The Hump is a GREAT start. It includes airfield descriptions, visual fixes, and other goodies.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 09:11:23 am »
Found a route map!!!

I already constructed a route which takes you southwest from Chabua and then due east over the lower peaks of the Himalayas.  Essentially you should not have to exceed 14000 the entire way, with 2/3 of the route flown at 10000 or lower.  

Here's an old route map I found:

http://cbi-theater-10.home.comcast.net/ ... es/m0.html

planes used included :

C-47  (Douglas DC-3 )
C-87 (B-24 cargo conversion )
C-46 (Curtiss Commando ).

I found freeware versions of all three.  I suggest we make up a download package for this that includes scenery, all planes, and some route plans.  Everyone planning to fly should have any possible models of the planes so we don't have AI glitches.