Weekly Domestic Journey?
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:14:44 pm »
What are the chances of BVA being able to have a weekly DJ instead of a Regional Circuit or myabe even both?

What do people think of this?

Re: Weekly Domestic Journey?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:16:51 pm »
Or perhaps alternating the R.C. and D.J. each week?
Brandon - bcarter755

Let Epsilon be less than zero.

Evan Reiter

• Training Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:02:12 pm »
The Regional Circuit events seem to be much more popular for both pilots and controllers... I'm not really sure why. One of the problems with the Dj is that the length can make controlling a little bit boring. You can wait quite a bit of time between arrivals, and everyone is doing the same thing (so you are only dealing with departures and not arrivals).

Evan Reiter
Training Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:29:48 pm »
Ah ok. I only ask because haveing a DJ in my mind sounds a lot better, from a pilots POV. You can at least climb up past FL180 fly an actualy approach etc...

Would having a BVA poll be ok?

1. DJ and RC in a week
2. DJ once a week
3. Keep It as is ( 1 RC a week )

i donno just a thought :D

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:49:12 pm »
Well there is one way I was thinking we could do a DJ and have controllers do both departures and arrivals. Lets say we do KBOS-KRDU which should take around 1hr 15mins| and we start the event at 7pm ET, we fully staff KBOS and have boston center and NY center online, close KBOS to landings(to allow max # of departures) and allow for fully staffed KBOS departures for 45 mins, after the 45mins all KBOS controllers switch to there positions at KRDU, and once the last plane is leaving BOS center airspace they switch to DC center and do the same with NY center but switch to center covering RDU if it's not DC center. Just a thought let me know what you think.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:49:23 pm »
Your idea sounds good now but from a controllers perspective that won't work because the amount of time it will take will depend on how many planes, everything going smooth, everyone being on time.  Heck even a super strong tail wind down to DC would screw up the process. Now if it was a longer flight then yeah I can see it working if we staff 2 center controllers as an ICSH kind of deal, but IMHO I don't think it would work out in-game, just too many variables.
Devon Hathaway - BVATC Scenery Design  "Cross Devon at or above 4000, cleared for the ILS RWY 9R approach"

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 06:38:02 pm »
Well what happened to the Hyper Tension Convention? That sounds like something similar.
Erik VanderWerf
Occasional Flyer
Programmer

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 07:26:37 pm »
Well with my idea if a pilot shows up late then they don't get any ATC service. And if you absolutely wanted to get the max number of flights out you can at KBOS if the wind is from the NE you can use 4L, 4R, and 9 for takeoffs allowing about three planes to take off every minute. But that's just my thought from the pilot point of view.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:41 pm »
Quote from: "theace6"
Well with my idea if a pilot shows up late then they don't get any ATC service. And if you absolutely wanted to get the max number of flights out you can at KBOS if the wind is from the NE you can use 4L, 4R, and 9 for takeoffs allowing about three planes to take off every minute. But that's just my thought from the pilot point of view.

It would also encourage that everybody departs within a certain time window, maybe 20-30 minutes.

This would make for a lot of traffic arriving at the same time, which is always fun for both pilots and controllers.
Brandon - bcarter755

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 07:36:39 pm »
true true...we might could give it a shot...if anything it would be a good test to see how it goes! :D i'm down.
Devon Hathaway - BVATC Scenery Design  "Cross Devon at or above 4000, cleared for the ILS RWY 9R approach"

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:45:12 pm »
And then poeople might get sent into holding patterns. That would be fun.

*If it works, what would we call it?
Erik VanderWerf
Occasional Flyer
Programmer

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 08:09:39 pm »
Quote from: "yos233"

I agree. It would be more realistic, as well.
Brandon - bcarter755

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 08:45:32 pm »
Another thing to do to free up coms and make it easier on controllers is have everyone use only 2 different flightplans 1 for heavies the other for non heavies so there is no need for a clearance controller, so just when ground clears you for the taxi they can say something like " AAL700/H taxi to runway 4R via B, squawk 4536"  or something like that. Just so theres not 25 people trying to get clearance all at once and you have to wait 20mins just to get your flight plan submitted.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 08:52:44 pm »
Quote from: "bcarter755"
Quote from: "yos233"
I agree. It would be more realistic, as well.
Well, "we don't hold anyone" in the U.S. for traffic saturation anymore, except for really exceptional situations, because it backs everything way up and exponentially increases controller workload. Our computers predict sector saturation and send delay times or increased spacing back a few hundred miles to other sectors if a particular sector is going "red." And the computers add departure delays to nearby departures so they get delayed on the tarmac instead of burning fuel.

For more interesting ATC in the events I think they should have three airports in a "triangle" instead of just two, like maybe MKE, ORD and DTW. Everybody going one way isn't really challenging for ATC, but having to merge two arrival streams from different directions with two departure streams could be. And it would pretty much take the same ATC staffing level if there was just local and ground at each of the three instead of local, ground and clearance.

Evan Reiter

• Training Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:01:03 pm »
Quote from: "ATCBob"
For more interesting ATC in the events I think they should have three airports in a "triangle" instead of just two, like maybe MKE, ORD and DTW.
We've tended to find that, when three airports are staffed, one airport (and the controllers staffing it) tends to be left out. However, given the number of people that have made this suggestion, I think it's a very good one, and is probably one we can implement. Let's think of a good name for it, and we can add it to the rotating roster of Dj, Pp, and Fi events. I think we have a better shot at putting together a successful, interesting, and realistic event this way.

Evan Reiter
Training Administrator