Don Desfosse

• ATC Instructor
Proprietary Information
« on: August 23, 2009, 01:07:16 pm »
Please note that all content on the Boston Virtual ARTCC website is copyrighted, with all rights reserved by the Boston Virtual ARTCC.  Material found on the Boston ARTCC website is for the exclusive use of current members of the Boston Virtual ARTCC, and may not be redistributed.

I have received notification that a small group of former VATSIM members is out "hunting" for sector files, alias files, pof files, etc. to try to steal our content and launch a network with it, and with "pay for use" content like sector files, etc., to compete with VATSIM.

Do not, under any circumstances, redistribute our material to anyone outside of the Boston Virtual ARTCC without express written permission of the Air Traffic Manager.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:58:28 pm by Camden Bruno »
Don Desfosse (DO)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA
ATM Emeritus, Boston ARTCC

Boston ARTCC - Where Excellence is Routine!

Re: Proprietary Information
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:10:00 pm »
New file packages for both ASRC and VRC with an included copyright and distribution restriction statement will be uploaded later today in the Controller Files area. I also updated the .pof file to reflect the recent Plymouth sector frequency change.

The new filenames are:

vZBW_ASRC_FilePak.zip
vZBW_VRC_FilePak.zip

Recommend everyone re-download and install the new files...just in case.

MS

I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...guaranteed.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:52:52 am »
Just 1 question.... This is visible to everyone... isn't it? SO technically anyone could still get our sector files and our training sops, what not....

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:56:50 am »
But if you read the disclaimer:
"Boston ARTCC - Boston Alias File, VRC edition
// Copyright 2003, 2009, vZBW-Virtual Boston ARTCC, All Rights Reserved.
// This file is intended for the sole use of the members of the VATSIM Online
// Flight Simulation community and the members of the vZBW ARTCC. This file may
// not be sold, transferred or distributed in any manner except through the vZBW ARTCC
// official website or other media as approved by the vZBW ARTCC management."

While it may be available for anyone to use, it can ONLY be received through us and my ONLY be used for VATSIM.
Daniel Webster College '13 (RIP)
FAA Class: 103080
ZLC Area D

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:01:18 am »
Quote from: "KU"
Just 1 question.... This is visible to everyone... isn't it? SO technically anyone could still get our sector files and our training sops, what not....

I believe there is (or was) a VATSIM/VATNA/VATUSA policy that stated that ARTCCs must have their SOPs and Sector Files and whatnot available on their website without requiring a login - and even if there wasn't such a policy, hiding our material behind closed doors would not be a good idea. When deciding on an ARTCC to join, most new controllers will peruse the sector files and SOPs to gauge the professionalism of that ARTCC. Besides that, controllers from other ARTCCs may want to download our sector files just to observe a vZBW event or something.
Michael Roche

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:51:22 pm »
Quote from: "AK"
But if you read the disclaimer:
"Boston ARTCC - Boston Alias File, VRC edition
// Copyright 2003, 2009, vZBW-Virtual Boston ARTCC, All Rights Reserved.
// This file is intended for the sole use of the members of the VATSIM Online
// Flight Simulation community and the members of the vZBW ARTCC. This file may
// not be sold, transferred or distributed in any manner except through the vZBW ARTCC
// official website or other media as approved by the vZBW ARTCC management."

While it may be available for anyone to use, it can ONLY be received through us and my ONLY be used for VATSIM.

That text isn't likely to stop them, but I'm not sure there's anything else we can do, short of pursuing legal action. (I'm not a lawyer ... I don't even play one on TV.)

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:14:52 pm »
Shucks, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night either...

As Ross noted, not much more we can do but it provides a mechanism that can be referenced if a cease and desist order proves necessary.

MS

I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...guaranteed.